Astra I & II | Els Kampert
- Contemporary artist: Els Kampert
- Title Artwork: Astra I & II
- Year: 2020
- Technique: Acrylic Poured on Canvas
- Style: Abstract Painting
- Size: 60cm x 80cm x 2 paintings
Astra I & II | Els Kampert
Astra I was made at the same time as Astra II.
Els used black, white, and forest green to create this painting. In essence, she is a sculptor, but is engaged in painting technique known as "casting". It is also known as liquid art or 'pouring'. A poured painting is a beautiful abstract piece of contemporary art that follows natures Dendritic design. That means the paint flows on the canvas, similar to how a river would flow, and a tree's branches grow, and lightning strikes form. Each expertly poured painting brings the flow of our natural world into your home in an exquisitely chosen colour scheme.
Astra is the accusative plural form of the Latin word Astrum, 'star' (from Greek Astron 'a star'.
Els never names an artwork herself. Her son and daughter use the first word they associate with her work to call the paintings. By giving them a name, her adult children interact with the result, contaminating the pure abstract form with a human association. Once the work has been named, it is shown to the world and the viewers will first encounter, not a wholly abstract painting, but an image imbued with meaning by the first viewers of the untitled abstract painting. A painting is never loose from the viewer. This interaction highlights how artwork can not exist without a viewer interacting with the artwork.
Els has another series of paintings named Venus, that is a mix of yellow and mint green. The colour palette closely resembles the images made by the Japanse spacecraft Akatsuki JAXA that was launched on May 20, 2010, that investigate the planet Venus's atmosphere.
It seems that one of her adult children had a period of preoccupied with space, which resulted in the naming of this painting.
Els never names an artwork herself. Her son and daughter use the first word they associate with her work to name the paintings. There is an interplay between the artist and the viewer, in this case, her adult children (and sometimes Gallery Sorelle Sciarone). Which makes each painting as much an action as a reaction of paint and people.
Buying a painting online
- All paintings are made by contemporary artist.
- All paintings at Gallery Sorelle Sciarone come with a certificate of authenticity.
- We have a big window in our return policy. You can try all paintings at home for thirty days.
- We offer a wide array of safe international payment options.
- All shipments are insured.
- Free shipping and return in the Netherlands for all paintings.
- Free shipping World Wide and returns World Wide for purchases over €2.000,00.