Who's that Girl? Masks 4 | Fiona J. Williams | Mask
The big dark eyes immediately draw you into the painting. The deep blackness of the iris and the dark pupils become one. They are in stark contrast with the illuminated witness of the eyeball. The tiny white squares at the top of the iris is a reflection from another light source, like a ring light pointing on the face. A bright light that fades everything else away except from the subject’s face and a fragment of the white shirt with bleeding light blue stripes on the left side. The mask of her face looks like it was cut off abruptly from the framing at the top of her head, where the hair was supposed to be.
What lies behind those eyes? What is the subject thinking? Who is she? Is she a disembodied mask?
We put on a mask to represent ourselves to the world where rawness and authenticity is often made to feel like the ‘other’ and an alien concept. When in reality, we need more spaces to express ourselves without feeling like strangers. The social construct of our contemporary capitalist society celebrates and has placed importance on the value of money. We all have to grab a piece of it or be left behind. Capitalism now leads us to have a society that prides itself on appearance. How people view others is made to be paramount, no matter the lengths some go to obtain the imagery of total success with a lucrative lifestyle. As many have quoted, there’s a lot of fake people around.
We live in a world of smoke and mirrors to please others and present ourselves as ‘having it all’. It’s all a big performance for who really? Meanwhile, our inner self is screaming to be let out to breathe and be ourselves without fear. We ignore our true personality and individuality that makes us, us.
Buying a painting online
- All paintings are made by contemporary artist.
- All paintings at Gallery Sorelle Sciarone come with a certificate of authenticity.
- We have a big window in our return policy. You can try all paintings at home for thirty days, to see if it works in your life.
- We offer a wide array of safe international payment options.
- All shipments are insured.
- Free shipping and return in the Netherlands for all paintings.
- Free shipping World Wide for all purchases and returns for over €2.000,00.